What made you interested in the field of accounts?
I loved calculus in school! When I was introduced to Accounting in high school, I just fell in love there! I believe that accounting is one of those subjects that you either get immediately… or not.
There is just something about going through the accounting cycle all the way to the income statement and balance sheet, and actually seeing your numbers balance that gets me excited…Am I crazy? It is fine, I still like it!
What are the basic skills one has to equip themselves with to perform successfully in your line of work?
Customer Service Skills:
- Excellent listening & telephone skills
- Verbal and written communication skills
Financial Management Skills:
- Working knowledge of basic accounting principles
- Judgment & decision –making
- Problem- solving & analytical ability
- Multi –tasking
- Time management skills
- Accuracy & attention to detail
- Ethical standards
What is a typical work day/scenario for Yolenda at Mbuyelo?
- Three-way match and validation of invoices
- Processing of authorised invoices to SAP
- Reconciliation of accounts to supplier statements, and
- Preparing Payments requisitions
Do you ever go on site?
Of course! I go through to the mine to collect authorised invoices and signed delivery notes. In the process I get to view an open-cast coal mine. This is my first, and at some point, it was the highlight of my whole trip!